Friday, April 24, 2015

Where to find interesting rocks for your container succulent garden

While it's not necessary to use rock in succulent container gardens, I do for two reasons. A layer of decorative rock makes the plants look much more interesting while also preventing the soil from washing away during watering.

Where do I get the rocks for my gardens? I live on top of an old riverbed which has an endless supply of smooth granite and quartz stones ideal for container gardening. I also pick up interesting rocks when walking along the river, the beach or along old railroad beds.

If you don't have access to these places, another great resource for rocks is at stone yard which sells decorative rocks and pea gravel directly to the public. Rocks and gravel have to be purchased by the half yard (which is roughly 3 & 1/2 wheelbarrow loads).  Pieces of slate, however, can be purchased by the piece which you can then break up with a hammer once you're at home.

For smaller amounts, garden centers carry decorative rock by the bag which is a great way to pick up an assortment of polished rocks. A 40 pound bag can cost between $20-35 depending on the color of rock you want.
I store my decorative stones in buckets that I keep next to my potting bench for easy access.

No comments:

Post a Comment