Saturday, April 25, 2015

Tall flower pots for high sided bicycle racks

One of my favorite wire racks for vertical gardening are a set of vintage bicycle baskets used by my mother-in-law in the 60s. These racks are tall and shallow which makes them practical for storing hoses, hand tools and more. What they aren't practical for are growing flowers since it's hard to find tall slender pots that will work.


When I found an vintage terra cotta wine cooler at the junk yard last week, I realized I had solved my problem. These coolers were super popular in the early 80s and are the perfect size for growing herbs and succulents on a vertical surface.

The rack shown was made using the cooler and assorted terra cotta pots (some broken) along with a few other random things I happened to have in my stash of vintage garden accessories. There's an old restaurant sized pepper mill in there, along with a gold cherub-candle holder thingy, a "shooter" marble on top of the candle holder, and an old wooden monkey pod spoon that had an interesting look.


 Wine coolers aren't the only option. Tall, slender tins will also work especially when paired with tall, vintage accessories such as seen below.

No comments:

Post a Comment