Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The DIY container rock garden in a shallow bowl

Because I live in a high mountain desert with hot temps and frequent winds, succulents are my "go to" plants for the hot spots of my yard. Some of my taller succulents are planted directly into the ground while the creeping varieties are planted in an assortment of pots to give them some height.

One of my favorite container styles are the shallow bowls which are great for planting an assortment of succulents. Shallow bowls offer a larger surface for succulents to grow plus provide ample space for decorative touches such as rocks, figurines and more.

I made this container rock garden using a vintage pot found at a junk store and added some chunks of red slate to give it some interest. Plants shown include a Mexican Feather Grass seedling, hens & chicks, and three varieties of sedum. For soil, I used regular potting mix mixed with sand in a 2:1 ratio.


No comments:

Post a Comment